Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Report To: Robert Freres
Wage Range: $(DOE)
Provides customer service and functional support to all Freres Lumber Company team members in various areas of Human Resources: recruiting, employee relations, compensation, benefits, training and development, employment law. Analyzes programs and recommends improvements/changes to compliance, administration and employee communication. Work under limited supervision. A great degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- As Human Resources Manager your ultimate mission is to provide outstanding customer service in developing, implementing and maintaining human resource systems that support Freres Lumber Company’ vision.
- Successfully administer key components of Freres Lumber Company onboarding process in support of high-volume hiring initiatives ensuring a fulfilling new hire experience.
- Responsible for administering and supervising a company-wide program, i.e. Recruiting, Screening, Interviewing, Hiring, Affirmative Action Plan, Workforce Planning, Legal Compliance, Training, Policies.
- Manages employee relations issues and coach leaders/teams to handle these issues effectively. Strives to discover root cause and work with the appropriate people to improve systems.
- Researches, recommends and coordinates training programs to support operations and professional talent development. Assists team leaders by facilitating career development for team members.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of current federal, state and local laws and regulations in order to ensure Company compliance. Communicates and trains leadership to laws and regulations.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of human resources trends. Applies trend information to goal setting, leader and HR coaching.
- Actively engages and learns all areas of the business to serve as a strategic business partner in HR interactions.
- Accountable for developing and monitoring processes and practices necessary for legal and ethical compliance in assigning area. Responsible for organizational training to legal and ethical compliance.
- Develops, maintains and administers consistently Freres Lumber Company’ policies. Updates manual annually and as policies change.
- Coordinates activities with vendors of training and educational services; negotiates arrangements, contracts and specifications, and evaluates vendors’ capabilities.
- Responds professionally and promptly to all customers requests.
- Maintains highest level of confidentiality at all times.
- Forms solid partnership with employees and leaders to foster high levels of teamwork, development, and trust and performance companywide.
- Provides coaching and guidance support to leadership and employees concerning human resources programs, practices, policies and procedures.
- Prepares internal employee communications regarding policies and training.
- May research questions/problems regarding team member benefits, 401(k), pension, and provide prompt, professional follow-up with team members and outside services.
- Performs on-boarding orientations with new team members or supports others with this process.
- Works with leaders to project workforce needs and develop plans to fulfill needs and leads the recruiting efforts.
- Develops job descriptions as new positions are created and modifies existing descriptions as positions change.
- May participate in projects in support of company strategic goals.
- Makes recommendations for improvement in processes and policies.
- Works safely and without injury.
- Ability to read, write, verbalize and comprehend instructions and correspondence at the highest levels in the English language. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and other skills. Excellent verbal and customer service skills.
- Must have mathematical skills equivalent to those required under degree requirement.
- Must be able to work Machines, Tools, Equipment, Software: Personal computer, fax machine, copy machine, other office equipment, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Human Resources Information System.
Responsibilities are not limited to the above mentioned and may include assisting other branches within reasonable and related tasks.
- Standing, Walking, Sitting, Lifting, Carrying, Balancing, Stooping, Reaching, Handling, Feeling, Communicating, Acuity-Far, Acuity-Near, Depth Perception, and Field of Vision.
- May require a combination of sitting, standing, and walking.
- Must be able to work in an office environment as well as a shop environment as job duties require. May be exposed to loud operating machinery, cold temperatures, chemicals, and vapors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field or five or more years of experience in a professional level Human Resources role.
- Five or more years’ experience administering multiple functions in the HR field and proficient ( have a well advanced branch of knowledge; function as a key resource or expert ) in the following areas: Employment, Employee Relations, Compliance, EEO/AAP.
- Comprehensive knowledge in the field of Human Resources.
- Comprehensive knowledge of a manufacturing organization.
- Advanced and exceptional communication, customer services, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing roles and responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively handle stressful situations and coach others to do the same.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and manage multiple efficiently and effectively.
- Computer literacy in commonly used business software products such as spreadsheets, word processing and database management required.
- Must have history of impeccable integrity, ethics and fair play and an ability to recruit and detect the same.
- Must be enthusiastic about adopting Freres Lumber Company’ Core Values: Never Compromise Trust, Honesty, and Partner with Customers, Commitment, Teamwork, Personal Development, and Lead by Example.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, customers and visitors.
- Ability to effectively program-solve.
- Ability to facilitate activities necessary to a project’s completion.
We offer a highly competitive wage, health insurance and profit sharing.
Freres Lumber Co., Inc. was established in 1922 in Lyons, Oregon as a family-owned and operated wood products manufacturing business. Three generations of family management have led the Company’s veneer and plywood manufacturing facilities to sustain in the Santiam Canyon and we are committed to operating for another 100+ years.
We operate six processing plants, including a small log veneer plant, large log veneer plant, veneer drying facility, plywood plant and cogeneration facility. We are dedicated to reinvesting in our modern manufacturing facilities, providing high-quality wood products, and providing family wage jobs within our communities. We specialize in creating the highest quality wood products, from raw log to finished products, including: hog fuel, bark fines, chips, shavings, specialty veneer, grade lumber, high-quality sheathing grade plywood and even electricity.
Our passion for continuous improvement aligned with our innovative approach to manufacturing has led us to become the sole producer and developer of a unique, patent-pending wood product, the Mass Plywood Panel. If you have growth mindset and thrive under pressure, you’re probably a great fit for our team!